BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Tooth Fairy visits....Finally!

Natalie, at 6.5 years old has been very impatient to enter that Big Kid status of losing a tooth.  Other kids in her Kindergarten class have lost a tooth, so "Why haven't I?" she asked continually at the start of the summer.  One evening, shortly after arriving at her Tball game in late June she comes running out of the dugout.  "Mom!  Wiggle my tooth.  Is it loose?"  Fully expecting to give the same ruling I'd given the previous 50 times she'd asked that question, I reached in and sure enough, wiggled a loose tooth.  Her beaming smile was priceless.  So, for the rest of the game, she had completely lost interest in anything but that wiggly tooth.  Which really isn't that unusual.  It usually only takes a pile of dirt in the outfield for her to become completely oblivious to the game around her, including that ball that whizzed right by her completely unnoticed.
Much to her disappointment (and efforts), about a month and a half went by and still that wiggly tooth was hanging on (with a second tooth joining the ranks as 'loose').  Reading book after book about characters with loose teeth was not helping, either.  And finally!  One Friday at the end of summer, Natalie comes barreling up the stairs into my bathroom to announce (with a smiling, and very bloody mouth) that she lost her first tooth!  She's so excited, she's not freaked out by the blood (thank goodness).  So, we clean the mouth, clean the tooth and gently place it in the tooth box, which has been patiently waiting on Natalie's nightstand all summer.  That night, around 2 am, I was woken up by Natalie excitedly telling me that the Tooth Fairy had come.  "She brought me some gold quarters (dollars) and she sprinkled some fairy dust all over!  Come see!"  I couldn't resist her excitement, but I'm sure I was mumbling loud enough for my husband to hear as I dragged myself out of bed wishing she had discovered the Tooth Fairy the next morning.  He didn't hear.....or so he pretended.
And the next day, at a sleepover with her friend (who also lost a tooth that night) the second one came out.
So, the weekend before she started the 1st grade, Natalie lost her first 2 teeth....officially becoming a Big Kid.

0 comments: